Two arson investigations spark up in Carbondale

Submitted by Carbondale Times on

Dustin Duncan

Carbondale Times

 Two arson investigations were launched Monday night after two fires were intentionally set in Carbondale, according to the Carbondale Police Department. 

Police are investigating fires at 100 N. Gum St., and at Ashley Furniture, 715 E. Main St. There is a suspect in custody for the fire on Gum Street. 

Police arrested Arius Williams, 23, of Carbondale and charged him with aggravated arson and damage to property, according to a news release by Sgt. David Kemp at about 1:25 a.m. Tuesday morning. 

Sgt. Amber Ronketto said Tuesday afternoon that Williams was a resident of the apartment that was set on fire, and the fire was contained within the apartment. 

According to the police scanner, there was a call to the residence earlier in the night due to a report of disorderly conduct. 

The call for the fire came to the police at about 11:25 p.m., and said there was a person outside of his apartment trying to intentionally set it on fire. He was also breaking out windows and threatening to harm anyone who came near him, the scanner 
traffic revealed. 

Officers on the scanner said the flames were in the bottom floor of the apartment and smoke was rising to the top, but it was eventually put out. Williams was taken to the hospital for evaluation and then incarcerated in the Jackson 
County Jail. 

At Ashley Furniture, Sgt. Kevin Banks released a statement at about 7:25 p.m., Monday night saying the fire was contained to the outside of the business, but smoke did make its way inside. He said there were no injuries and the fire was reported by a person passing the business. 

Ronketto said the fire is being investigated as arson because the fire was determined to be set intentionally, and it was not electrical or accidental in nature. She said the police do not have a suspect as 
of Tuesday. 

Officers on the police scanner said an air conditioning unit caught fire and the blaze shot up the wall, but the fire was contained 
in minutes.  

A third fire was also reported Monday, and Ronketto said it was do a cooking incident, but the fire didn’t spread to other apartments.  The fire is not considered suspicious and nobody was injured.