Announcement delayed in Molly Young case

Submitted by Carbondale Times on

Geoffrey Ritter
Weekend Times

CARBONDALE — The prosecutors reviewing the 2012 death of Molly Young won’t be announcing the results of their investigation just yet.

Patrick Delfino, director of the State’s Attorneys Appellate Prosecutor office in Springfield, said Thursday that his office now is more likely to make an announcement regarding the closely watched case sometime in February.

The office’s lead prosecutor on the case, Ed Parkinson, told the Times last month that an announcement was likely by the end of January. On Thursday, Delfino said subsequent developments on unrelated cases the office is examining have contributed to the delay.

The office took over the inquiry into Young’s death last summer following a request from Jackson County State’s Attorney Mike Carr. At the time, Carr said that in spite of some unanswered questions, substantial evidence in the case indicated Young may have discharged the fatal gunshot to her own head the morning of March 24, 2012.

Young’s death occurred in the bedroom of her on-and-off boyfriend, Richie Minton, who at the time was employed as a dispatcher at the Carbondale Police Department. Minton told first responders that he must have slept through the shot fired from his .45-caliber handgun. He has not been charged in connection with Young’s death, and he has not agreed to any subsequent interviews with investigators. 

At an inquest a year ago, jurors heard extended excerpts from journals Young had previously kept in which she expressed a range of suicidal thoughts. Also, a series of text messages sent from her phone in the hours before she died detailed more suicidal thoughts and attempts to overdose on pills. The jury ultimately ruled the cause of Young’s death undetermined due to a lack of evidence.

The Facebook group Justice for Molly has publicly questioned some details of Young’s death, among them Minton’s 911 call hours later identifying the death as the result of a drug overdose. Minton told first responders that he only found the gunshot wound after attempting to perform CPR on Young. When investigators discovered a pair of fresh, 6-inch scratches on his back that morning, Minton told them he must have sustained them while administering CPR.

Young’s family and friends also have questioned the angle of the wound and whether or not the 21-year-old Marion High School graduate could have inflicted it herself.